Restoring the Sacred

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Fr. Nix: St. Alphonsus Liguori on Perfect Contrition



This podcast is actually a short audio-book. The great doctor of the Church wrote a small book on “Perfect Contrition: Golden Key to Paradise.” It was translated by Fr. Simon SJ to English, and it was turned into an audio recording in 1950. Because it is old, I found no copyrights, so I re-published it here. Because it is not an original, I did not publish this as a podcast, but I can say that this unknown treasure has been one of the most life-changing books in my priesthood. I think it will help everyone to discover (or re-discover!) the gift of supernatural faith. It is truly a treasure and a Golden Key to show that Perfect Contrition is not as hard as we thought.

Nota Bene: Notice that St. Alphonsus teaches that perfect contrition suffices for the relief of mortal sin (or even original sin) for eternal salvation, but not reception of Holy Communion. Confession of all mortal sins is still required for the reception of Holy Communion.