Restoring the Sacred

Monday, February 22, 2010

If Molly Were President


Our 13 year old granddaughter had to write a speech, titled as above, as part of an oratory competition at her school. Here's what she wrote.

If I Were President:

The Lord has bestowed on our country a gift. His gift has enabled us
to become the greatest nation in the world. We are a nation founded on
the belief that all men are created equal and that everyone should
have an equal opportunity to succeed. We are one nation, under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. As president, I would
uphold the principles that our founding fathers laid out for us, and I
would continue to develop our American exceptionalism.

'What,' one may ask, 'is the cornerstone for our great nation?'
The answer- a piece of paper. But it is not just any piece of paper;
it is our Constitution. As president, I would use this great document
as a basis for all decisions I would make. I would appoint officials
who also hold our Constitution in high esteem. One of the major points
in our Constitution is that government needs to be limited. I believe
in free enterprise and individual freedom. I would ensure that the
government did not intrude on the lives of the American people. We are
the land of the free and I, as president, would keep it that way.

Taxes are a major concern for the American people. As president, I
would create one flat tax for everyone. It would be fair and not
confusing.

As president, I would adopt former President Ronald Reagan's
policy of 'peace through strength'. We are the strongest nation in the
world, and we need to maintain that status. If we even appear weak,
our enemies will see us as an easy target. We are currently in a war
against evil and we are winning! I would not withdraw our troops. Our
brave men and women would stay until we win the war. We need to be
respected and feared.

Another important issue that I would deal with as president would
be energy independence. We must stop relying on nations such as Saudi
Arabia, Iran, and Venezuela for our oil. We need to drill here and
drill now. We also need to build nuclear plants and refineries. God
gave us plentiful resources and we should use them.

Life is perhaps the most important issue. As president I would
make a law to end abortion- the murdering of innocent lives. God gives
us life. It is not ours to take away.

Though being president of the most powerful nation in the world
would be difficult and stressful, I would take my duty seriously, and
I would be honored to serve my country in that way. Being president
would also be very exciting and fun at times. As president, I would
work for the American people and for the best interest of America. And
like Ronald Reagan I would "restore the great, confident roar of
American progress, growth, and optimism."

NOTE: The spacing of the above is the fault of the blogger, who obviously does not know how to transfer a document from "Word" to a new blog post. The only fault with the content, as I told Molly, is that it tends to lean a little too far to the Left.

Oh, by the way, she won.

Bookmark and Share