Restoring the Sacred

Thursday, August 6, 2009

At least they weren't waterboarded.



These are two accurately described left-wing journalists: Joanie de Rijke of The Netherlands, and Robert Fisk of Great Britain. The next time you read a sympathetic article by either one concerning radical islamists, you should consider the source. The below is taken from "The Week" section of the August 10th issue of National Review.

In 2001, Robert Fisk, the hard-Left, jihad-sympathetic British journalist, was attacked by Afghan refugees along the Afghan–Pakistani border. He wrote that “young men . . . began smashing stones into my face and head. I couldn’t see for the blood pouring down my forehead and swamping my eyes. And even then, I understood. I couldn’t blame them for what they were doing. In fact, if I were the Afghan refugees . . . I would have done just the same to Robert Fisk. Or any other Westerner I could find.” Flash forward to November 2008. A Dutch journalist, Joanie de Rijke, is kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan. They did “horrible things to me,” she has now written in a book. They raped her for days on end. But “they also respected me.” And “they are not monsters.” Between bouts of rape, they gave her tea and biscuits. And the commander, she explains, “could not control his testosterone. I had the impression that afterwards he regretted what had happened.” De Rijke denies that she is suffering from Stockholm syndrome. But she and Fisk are suffering from something.

I would be willing to bet that both of these objective journalists were appalled when they learned that the Great Satan had waterboarded three of the most heinous Islamic terrorists in the world and thereby saved untold thousands of lives of innocent citizens.