Restoring the Sacred

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Time Out for Satchmo, R.I.P.



I could talk about The Last Great Race on Earth forever, but it's time for a short break. I love this video, and can't help thinking about it every morning that I wake up in this magnificent place.

I did forget to mention in the post on the ceremonial start at Anchorage that the folks riding in the sleds in the photos are called Idita-Riders. One gets to be an Idita-Rider by bidding on the particular sled one wants to ride the 11 miles in. The person riding in the sled of Lance Mackey, I'm sure, isn't worried about a tanking 401 K. Idita-Riders do not, you've probably surmised, ride in the official race.

Tomorrow, I'll be in Willow manning Trail Guard Position #1 for the restart. No photos allowed once the race officially starts, but I'll be getting there early and will get some photos of the area, and maybe even one of the better half of John McCain's ticket.